What are the qualities of Great Umpires? What does it take? This is a list of ten key elements that will help you the baseball umpire to be a great umpire. This is what it takes.
1. Always have a desire to improve. Approach everything you do as an umpire on the ball field seriously.
2. Be prepared physically and mentally keep yourself in decent physical shape.
3. Be a team player. Be the kind of umpire that loves the loyalty of the umpire brotherhood.
4. Care about changes that need to be made by you after a bad game. A good umpire cares when he is disappointed in his performance to make the necessary changes to improve. We all have bad games and make questionable calls. At least admit to yourself a mistake and improve yourself.
5. Do not be a quitter react as though every play is crucial and treat every game with importance.
6. Be able to take constructive criticism admit your short comings and weaknesses and work to get better and improve.
7. To be a Great Umpire it takes a person who is willing to be mentored and to mentor new and young umpires. Learn from others and teach others.
8.Intend to leave the baseball diamond a better umpire than when you arrived.
9. Take the time and make the sacrifices needed to improve your abilities.
10. Have a sincere desire and attitude to improve always.
Ten Qualities of Great Umpires
This is What it Takes!!
The 11th Quality!!
Know by Rule and be able to explain them:
4.AWARDING OF BASES
KNOW THE RULES AND BE ABLE TO INTERPRET THEM ON THE BALL FIELD BECOME THE RULE BOOK IN THE FLESH!!!